One of the more popular websites today is Reddit.com, which is a user generated behemoth. At any time on anyone of it’s many “subreddits” (sections devoted to specific topics) you’ll find someone asking for help and some really great answers.
As we speak there is a discussion in the frugal section where a user asked the question “Does r/frugal think that gardens are actually financially frugal?” The top comment is such great advice we wanted to share it with any of you would be home gardeners. Even if cost isn’t an issue for you it’s still sounds advice:
“It is, if:
- You identify the plants you eat a lot of and are expensive and grow those. Eat a lot of potatoes? Probably not a good idea to grow them, because they’re so dang cheap. Like chives? Well, they are really easy to grow, and cut herbs are expensive in the store, so go ahead. . Raspberries are also super easy, and pretty expensive. My general rule is: grow leafy vegetables, herbs, and berries. Buy root vegetables and squashes, plus anything that doesn’t get enough heat here.
- Find out what crops grow well and easily for you, in your climate. For me, beans are tasty, yes, but we just don’t get a big enough crop to make it worthwhile. However, I grow a lot of kale, because it just does fantastically here- in fact, since some self-seeded, I don’t have to do anything but harvest now.
- Develop your soil’s fertility cheaply or for free. For example, I’m getting a truck load of composted horse manure from a friend for the price of gas. Compost kitchen scraps and lawn clippings, check out coffee stands and see if they’ll give you coffee grounds. All of these are free or nearly free sources of fertility that will make your garden really produce.
- Don’t get carried away and buy a pile of tools. Really, unless you have a big garden, all you need is a shovel, a trowel, and maybe a rake and garden fork. You do not need to buy rototillers or other fancy and expensive doodads.
- Realize that gardening is a skill, and may take some time to develop. Some people are fantastic their first year, but many have entire crops fail before they figure out what they need to do.
TL;DR: Find out what crops you eat a lot of, aren’t cheap, and basically grow themselves for you. Get free and cheap sources of soil fertility. Only grow what you will actually eat. Figure out how to minimize effort and time investment while maximizing yield.”
It’s great to see people who posses specific knowledge and skills share that knowledge with other people.
Looking to sell your home in Paradise Valley? Or are you interested in moving to Paradise valley? Cambridge Properties has been working in the exclusive 85253 zip code for years. Weather you are looking to move into a beautiful all inclusive community like Montelucia, or build your own dream home on Camelback mountain Cambridge Properties knows Paradise Valley.
For years Cambridge Properties has been selling luxury high rises and custom homes to the valley’s most discreet real estate buyers. Clients who want only the best agents that really know Paradise Valley should look no further than the team at Cambridge Properties.
Give us a call today! 602-787-6346 or feel free to search all Paradise Valley MLS listings on our website CambridgeProperties.com
We can listen to reports telling us the housing market is coming back until we are blue in the face. At Cambridge Properties we are the leaders in Luxury Urban living but we’re also visual learners, so we made a graph.
What we find most interesting is that although most people are widely reporting that the uptick in housing is only due to investors picking up lower end properties, you can see that the trend in higher priced homes is going up as well.
This is good news for our clients, Cambridge Properties is the leader in Luxury urban living and it’s good to see our market is starting to come back as well!
We have an official Tesla Dealership!
One of our favorite show’s on the discovery channel is Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. Mr. Rowe has worked tons of jobs across America but one place he’s yet to visit is a remote Amethyst mine on four peaks.
Earlier this year the crew over at Sami Fine Jewelry in Fountain Hills sent someone up in a Helicopter to one of the most remote mine locations on the planet, hoping to Lure Mr. Rowe to our lovely state. We all know that Arizona is rich in mineral deposits but the Four Peaks Amethyst mine is has the unique distinction of being the last operating Amethyst mine in north America.
What is amethyst? It’s a Purple colored variety of Quartz that is used often in southwestern art and jewelry. It’s nice to know that a store as prominent as Sami Fine Jewelry still takes time to explore its suppliers like this. At Cambridge properties we too believe that you can’t truly know what your selling if you don’t know where it comes from. We love learning about places like the four peaks Amethyst mine, it’s just another reminder that we live in a state that has more than meets the eye.
Everyone says you can use their tool to search MLS just like a realtor. What nobody tells you is that in order to search MLS you’re first going to have to give them your personal information. At Cambridge Properties we believe that you should be able to search the MLS all you want without having to give us your information.
Don’t get us wrong, we want to be your agent when your buying or selling, but that’s not always why you’re searching. Real estate is something you are going to be involved with for your entire life and at Cambridge properties we believe there is no rush. Take you time, use our search tool to look all over the valley just like a realtor and if you ever have any questions we’d love to hear from you.